With the growth of globalization, there is a huge growth in the hospitality sector and eventually, the tourism industry as well. With India as one of the most popular travel destinations, the government is quite encouraging and investing in the industry’s development. To know more about scope and career in hotel management, keep reading.
The hotel industry is a significant part of the hospitality industry with a heavy growth potential in the coming future. There is a huge demand for the hotel management professionals and is also expected to grow more as with the increase in a number of hotels coming up in India and all over the world.
Jobs in hotel management include several skills like service for food and beverage, operation at the front office, sales, and marketing, accounting etc. There are several government colleges and private institutes in India which provide certification courses, diploma or degree courses in hotel management.
Minimum qualification is 10+2. And based on the cost and duration of the course, you can opt for a certificate, a diploma or a degree course.
Certificate courses could be of 6 months to 1-year duration, a diploma is of two years and a degree course of 3-year duration.
The selection process for government recognized colleges and institutes are conducted via common entrance tests held in April every year. The test has multiple choice questions in English, Reasoning, General Science, and General knowledge.
A group discussion and an interview are conducted out to assess the personality and aptitude of the candidate before he or she gets selected for the hotel management course. Private institutes also conduct tests for selection of candidates.
Candidates must be very hardworking and must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills with an ability to handle disputes or criticism with patience. He or she should be co-operative, polite and respectful towards the guests in every situation.
There are several exciting jobs opportunities for graduates in hotel management with an increase in competition in the hotel industry. Since a hotel has many departments like the Operations, Front Office, Food and Beverages, Sales and Marketing, Accounting, Engineering or Maintenance, Security etc. one can choose for a field in accordance to their liking and pursue a career and become successful in it.
Check out for a walk in interview jobs in hotel management.
Design Your Career
Apart from jobs in Hotels and restaurants, hotel management diploma holders or graduates can find good jobs in the following:
Airline catering and Cabin Services
Management in Clubs
Hospital administration and catering
Hotel and Tourism Associations
Hospitality services in Indian Navy
Hospitality services in the MNCs
Guest Houses, resorts
Catering departments in the railways, banks, shipping companies etc.
Hotel and catering institutes
After completion of a diploma course or a degree course in Hotel Management, you can get into the job as a trainee and then fit into various positions after completing the training. The salary for an entry-level position is about Rs.7000 to Rs.10,000 and later increases as the experience grows in the field.
Hotel Management Entrance Exams in India
• National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology Joint Entrance Exam (NCHMCT JEE)
• Institute of Hotel Management (IHMs) Joint Entrance Examination for B.Sc Hospitality & Hotel Administration
• Under Graduate Aptitude Test (UGAT)
• Chandigarh Inst. of Hotel Management Admission Test
• IITM – Indian Inst. of Tourism and Travel Management Exams
• Inst. of Hotel Management Aurangabad Admission test
• MAH-HM-CET Maharashtra Hotel Management Common Entrance Test
• IHM Meerut Admissions Test
Top Hotel Management Colleges in India
• Welcome-group Graduate School of Hotel Administration, Manipal (WGSHA)
• Red carpet Hotel & Culinary Academy
• Institute of Hotel Management, Catering and Nutrition, Pusa, Delhi
• Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition (IHMCTAN)
• International Institute of Hotel Management, Kolkata
• Institute of Hotel Management, Aurangabad
• A-IHM Institute of Hotel Management
• Indian Institute of Hotel Management (IIHM)
• Institute of Hotel Management-Bangalore (IHM-B)
• M.A. Rangoonwala Inst. of Hotel Management & Research
• PCTE Institute of Hotel Management
Currently, the Hotel Management is one of the most recognized and attractive career options in India. A degree or diploma course in hotel management helps a student with all the professional requirements which are necessary to find a good job in the hotel and hospitality sector of the country.
With this, we conclude our discussion about how to fulfil your desire to pursue a career in the sector of hotel management. Also keep looking into this space by career advice for more career opportunities and for job openings for fresher and experienced, as well.